Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rowing

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rowing Empty Rowing

Post  BM Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey Triggy, what is your normal time over 500 metres? My first row, and remember I am a tad unfit at the moment, was a 2:23 using pace boats. I have our old 50" plasma setup in the gym room in front of the rower, so it really helps take you mind off the pain and actually makes it fun Very Happy

I love this RowPro software, it combines excercise and a game type simulator. (A couple of pictures below).

Rowing Rowpro

Rowing Download

If you have this software we can exchange rows and use each other for target..I meant training practise Razz If you don't have it and want to try it you can get a 21 day download to try for free. We will be buying the full version when these 21 days run out though.

BM
Admin

https://rfactor.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Rowing Empty Re: Rowing

Post  TriggerFish Sat May 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Woohoo! Nice one BM.

I don't have RowPro, but, am not opposed to getting it. I usually hook up the laptop to upload stats from the PM3 to the online log book system.

As far as times go, I have a spreadsheet on google docs that gives you an idea of my progression since November. There are a few sheets.

First sheet is my best 2km time as well as that of a couple of guys from work who came over to give it a go. I should mention that they are both 5 and 10 years younger than me and much fitter. I have the advantage of having been doing the rowing for a few months now that helped me.

Second sheet is my 10km record row (measured in time). Third is my 30 min record row (measured in distance). The last tab is all the raw data from the log card at that time (a few weeks ago.). I haven't improved on any of those times as I have been consolidating a bit.

95% of my workouts are 10km. When I am doing a cruisy (still difficult) workout, I sit on 1:56 pace. My record for the 10km was a 1:53 pace. By that I mean it is the overall pace for the 10km if measured as a split for each 500m. Compare that to my first row in November where my pace as 2:17 and to say that I am happy with the improvement is an understatement.

To take my mind off the pain, I just stick some music in my ears. I find the main battle is mental. I don't push myself too hard very often recently. Once or twice a month I look to set a record. You have joined at the right time BM as the season has just ticked over to a new one. So all my previous records have been retired to last season and I have to set them all over to get accurate rankings. Still, it's fun to see your improvement when it comes, so all good.

Spreadsheet is here - LINKY
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Sat May 08, 2010 1:32 pm

So, my 2:23 is fairly slow for 500 mtrs Razz Am I correct reading that your time per 500 mtrs in the 30 minute row was around the 1:52 mark? Fairly impressive mate. Your heart rate isn't that bad either. I think mine was up around that for the 500 metres in 2:23 Embarassed Your 500 metre splits over the 2k distance are excellent, I really have some work to do Smile

The data you can get out of the PM3 is brilliant, and the link to the Polar monitor really helps.

Would have loved to really get into it this week, but am interstate for the whole week Sad I think the hotel I am staying at has a decent gym setup.

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Sat May 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, 1:51.7 for the 30 mins overall. With a 1:48.7 for the last 6 minutes.

I was dissapointed in my 2km effort. Only in as much as my last 500m was a massive drop off from the previous 3 splits. It was a PB, so am not complaining too much. I was pretty distracted as my mate from work was asking me if I minded if he threw up in my garden at the time....hahaha. The 2km 'sprint' is real pain. 1km in and I knew about it. 1500m in and I was pretty much gone.

Like I said, don't be too worried about your times now. In November I was struggling to hold 2:17 and I imagine I have a significant advantage physiologically speaking. I'm 6'4", which adds plenty to my *cough* stroke length. You may well be a giant among men and have that over me, I don't know, but, in rowing, stroke length is a big advantage.

Let me know if you hook into the online logbook system and we can exchange ID numbers in the short term. I'll look into row pro as well.
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Sat May 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Just a tad under your 6' 4" (1 tad = 8"), so I stoke shorter and faster...so to speak tongue

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Tue May 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok Triggy, I don't think I will be uploading any of my data to the net just yet Smile I know I am just starting out at this, but the worst part is remembering how fit you used to be, and how horrible it feels now Smile This is my first week into it and I am doing 2 x 2km rows each night, both taking around 10 minutes, with 500m splits around the 2:20 - 2:30 mark or something. I know I have to give myself a break as I have never rowed before, well except for dinghies Very Happy, plus I am so unfit, but you have to start somewhere hey? It really does use a lot more muscles than a 45 minute run, and a he
ll of a lot easier on the knees. I see comments of yours like
In November I was struggling to hold 2:17 and I imagine I have a significant advantage physiologically speaking. I'm 6'4",
, so I feel a bit better, as I should be around that time in a couple of weeks hopefully, even with the "height challenged" factor thrown in Razz One question Triggy, what do you have your damper set to?

I do have to say that the RowPro 3D software makes it so much more enjoyable for me. Having it displayed on a nice big screen in front of you takes the mind off the pain Smile Let me know if you end up getting it.

Hey Willy, did you look into the rower? As I said in the PM, if you want to give it a try pop around for a visit. No bringing wine, beer or Sorbet though Wink

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 pm

If by damper, you mean drag factor (or the little lever on the right hand side of the fan housing), I have it on about 4.5 (ie in between 4 and 5). There is a good introductory article\post on the concept2 forums about getting started with indoor rowers that will help you with things like that. Drag factor is the level of resistance provided by the fan on the wheel as determined by how open the air vent is ie. how much air is let in. The article that tells you about stuff like that is here - LINKY (not sure if you need to register or not).

I have my drag factor set to about 110 from memory. It was a bit lower when I started and I haven't seen anything definitive on which way to go to help me with deciding on a permanent setting, although that article suggests between 100 and 130 (also tells you how to measure it with the PM3). I imagine that there are factors like size, stroke length and strength that come into it, but, I have enough to keep me busy with sweating and puffing and stuff.

Really glad to hear you are into it BM. Don't get discouraged at the start, be encouraged by where you will be in a few months time. I cracked a PB tonight over 10km. Did a 37:35.3 which is an average split of 1:52.7 overall. I was stoked because, normally when I go for a PB, I start out steady and negative split with a massive finish (ie 1:50 split for the last 2km). Tonight I picked the overall split for my previous PB (1:53.1) and sat under it for each of the 5 x 2km splits. I did a slight acceleration for the last 500m or so and my split for the last 2km was 1:52.5 or something. So the whole thing was paced and I came off feeling quite good, rather than completely spent after a sprint finish. Very happy.

I am seriously considering going in the Australian Indoor Rowing Championships. They are in Melbourne in October, which gives me about 4 months to train for them. I would be competing in the 30-39 (masters) heavyweight division as I have no chance of getting into the lightweights (75kg or less) and don't think I would be competitive in the open class. However, I think it was a pretty small field last year and looking at the results, my current PB over 2km would have placed me 3rd. I have only done a 2km row twice now, so I think if I trained for it over the next 4 months, I could be competitive. You can also qualify for the world champs in Boston if you set a good enough time. 2 or 3 of the qualifiers (if there are any) win a fully paid trip for 2 to the Boston event. I have no chance of getting a qualifying time this year as my PB is 44 seconds over it. But who knows, it might be something achievable next year.

Point being, I am re enthused after a couple of months of flagging motivation as demonstrated by the PB tonight. I look forward to hearing about how you are going BM. If I could make one suggestion it would be to bite the bullet and start doing 30 min rows. My first row in November was going to be a 45 minute effort. I gave up after 30....30 minutes is a standard rowing piece and is a great start to building aerobic fitness. I have moved onto the 10km pieces since then, which are only an extra 8 mins or so. For the most benefit in an aerobic and weight loss sense 45-60 minutes at a medium level of intensity works wonders. So as I think I have said before, I will do a 10km row like tonight and then hop straight on the treadmill for the balance of an hour. Very happy with the results thus far. Don't stress about split times at this stage, they will come down in due course.

On the knees issue, be careful of locking your knees out. I have heard tell that over time this can be an issue for rowers. Yet to experience any real discomfort myself, but, something I thought it worth mentioning if you have pre-existing knee complaints.

Wow....here endeth my outpouring Smile. Keep it up BM and Willy with your exercise!
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 am

Wow, must have burnt up a few calories typing that out Razz I do intend to start rowing for longer, 30 minute stints as you have suggested, I just wanted to start of easy this week and see how i went with shorter distances. In relation to the locking knees out, i know exactly what you mean as it is a big issue for cyclists too, that is why when you are fitted for a bike your knees should remain partly bent at full down stroke. There was actuall a guy on The Inventors recently who had invented an attachment that attaches to the rower to prevent your knees locking out. Effectively a padded ar of sorts that stops the legs going down in a particular position. It can't be any worse than pounding the pavement for 45 minutes Smile

Good to see you are enjoying it mate, and the Australian Indoor Championships would be excellent motivation for you.

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Wed May 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I saw something about that anti knee locker outera too. If I have any problems I may well be looking that up.

I am also thinking about the Masters Games. They are on at the Gold Coast this year cheers .
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Thu May 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and did my first 30 minute row tonight pale Nah, I actually came out of it fairly well. In RowPro I set 3 pace boats with 500 splits of 2:35, 2:37 and 2:40. I didn't have any idea how I would go so I made sure I kept pace with the 2:25 boat, well until the screen saver came on Neutral Had to put the handle down, go and wiggle the mouse, then start rowing again. this gave the 2:35 boat a 25 mtre lead over me, so I pushed a little harder to make up the distance. Got to around the 27 minute mark and started focusing on trying to get to the 6000 metre mark but just missed it. Nothing copared to your 8056 mark I though No

Only problem I had was a numb bum Rolling Eyes Legs do feel like I have just gotten off the bike after a long ride though.

Triggy, when you said
You have joined at the right time BM as the season has just ticked
over to a new one.
is that on the Concept2 site or elsewhere? Oops, think I have found it. Is it the "World Rankings" option on Concept2?

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 am

AWESOME! Never mind my time..that took me over 4 months to do! My first failed 45 min effort that turned into a 30 min only yielded 6500m so not too far in front of yours. Now you have a benchmark and some goals. Great stuff! Fantastic to see you in and running.

In your online logbook, when you upload from your logcard, next to each piece there will be an option to rank each workout listed in the table (see the image from mine for this season below). When you have your logbook ID, let me know and we can team up!

Rowing Logbook
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

yay, made it to the 6000 metre mark tonight Triggy, 6005 to be exact cheers

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Fri May 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Super effort! PBs are great motivators.

I went rowing with a guy from work today. There are two model Ds in the gym at work so we rowed side by side. He is a fraction taller than me and of similar fitness to when I started, if a little lighter. It was his first time and we did a 30 min row. He beat my first effort from November, so hats off to him. It was great experience for me having someone next to me doing a different pace and stroke rate. Very good to get used to for the competition that I hope to do. I am trying to convince him to come with me. I just remembered you would remember him from rFactor, it's Dingaman! I'm hoping that we'll both go down to compete in October.

Back to the subject of PBs, I did a new one for the 30 min adding a whopping 12 metres geek . They all count I suppose and it is good to have one under the belt for the new season standings. I was happy too because it was while rowing next to Dingaman as I said before. Also, I was doing a bit of coaching during the row and missed at least one stroke while I adjusted my shirt that had come untucked and got caught under the seat slide....so there is 10-12 metres there! So I reckon there is still some improvement. Plus I wasn't hammered at the end or anything either. Tired, but, there was some juice left that could have been spent earlier in the row.

Keep going BM. Isn't it a great way to exercise. Covers so much of your body at the same time. It's not what I call fun at all, but, very satisfying when you achieve good results.
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Fri May 21, 2010 5:22 pm

It's not what I call fun at all
Lol..done worse though. I remember one biathlon in particular many years ago, 10k run, 60k cycle, then another 10k run, and I ran out of fuel halfway through the last run. Never felt so bad in my life pale I actually love the feeling when getting off the rower after a hard 30 minute workout. Took a great deal of mental desire to get on it tonight though, especially when a mate texts me "Beer, Parmiagana and Footy at the pub" Smile

Tonight in RowPro I set up to row against my row last night, plus another couple of rowers with splits of 2:35 and 2:37. Knew I had to beat my row from last night by 119 metres Very Happy Damn screen saver came on again so was bellowing to the wife (she was upstairs watching tv), but because I had headphones on i couldn't tell if she was answering me or not. Apparently she was at the top of the stairs calling out "Yes, yes?" Razz

In this RowPro product I keep on about, you can connect to the internet and row against other rowers online. If you used Teamspeak or ventrilo or something you could chat (or sledge each other) while rowing too Smile How would it be going from online gaming to online rowing, bagging each other, like we did when racing Razz

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm

I like the way you think BM. I agree about it being a lot about the mental aspect. I know my body can do it, getting my mind together to get back on the seat is hard every time.

I'm not sure how I would go rigging something up to use rowpro. I have my D out in the garage and I'm not sure that I have anything suitable to display it on (ie big enough). Having the mics on voice activate could be interesting...hehe. Not sure about you, but, I don't think I would have the breath to sledge...haha.

Beating your best by over 100 metres is a great effort. I was happy enough with 12...lol. Just picture yourself beating someone in another boat by over the length of a football field!
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm

How are the fitness kicks going?

My weight loss has stalled, but, I am enjoying some improved fitness. Just need to get my eating back on track.

I've had a cold for the last week or so and have kept my training pretty light as a result. I did join Dingaman for his first 2km effort on Tuesday. I set myself a few goals for it and set a new PB 6:39.8! I really wanted to crack 6:40 so I was stoked. It was just over 5 seconds better than my previous best. Last year's winner of the event that I want to compete in did a 6:19, so I have miles left to go, but I hope to be competitive as this time would still put me in third. I need to drop another 10 seconds to improve a spot...still some time to go, so we'll see I guess. It's early in the season, but, I am currently ranked 2nd in Australia!!! Go me!

How are you guys travelling? For comparison BM, Dinga did a 7:45 from memory. I was really impressed as he has only done about 5 sessions prior to doing the 2km time.

*edit* forgot to mention, I crossed the 700km total distance rowed tonight. a couple more months and I will join the million metre club!
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Wow awesome (or oarsome) work Triggy (see what I did there) Laughing I have been doing 30 minute rows most nights, followed by some weights or running, concentrating on making it to the 6000 metre mark each time. I think the furthest I have made is about 6060. My heart rate is getting up around the 165 mark as I have to really put in for the last few minutes to get there, so don't want to push it any further until I get some more fitness back. I started trying longer strokes, well long for a height challeneged person anyway Smile I noticed with a bit longer stroke my 500m rate went down from about 2:31 to 2:26, 2:27. Was thinking the other night that I should try a 2km row to see what I can do after a few weeks. As for weight loss, well at my maximum I was only 89kgs, so happy to lose about 8-9kgs (and a couple of chins), but more about trying to get fitness back too for me. One of my mates who lost about 40 kgs is right into the fun runs, and has challenged me to a Bridge to Brisbane run No I have however lost about 4 kgs in the last few weeks, probably also due to some good old fashioned hard work each weekend. I think my heart rate is up around the 145-150 mark for 6-7 hours each Saturday, so that helps too. If you need some more excercise Triggy or Willy I know where there is about 5cubic metres of dirt/gravel to be moved Razz Saying that, about to sit down with a few beers and watch the Rugby Test and Nth.Melb/ Brisbane game pig

Do you feel it in your triceps when you row Triggy? Excellent excercise for the upper arms this rowing Very Happy

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Good to see you hitting the rower so frequently BM. Keep it going. Sorry, but, I don't have enough frequent flyers to come shift your dirt...... geek

When I do a hard row, I feel it most in my quads (thigh muscles). The biggest thing to remember is that you get most of your power in rowing from your legs. Check out this video for some good tips - Rower Technique. I only mention it because I wouldn't want to see you hurt your back or anything. Having said that, when I do a full on session, I feel it all over. I just notice it most in my legs.

Speaking of full on sessions. I did a row tonight. My heart rate before I started was quite low and I felt strong in the warmup, so I decided to have a go at a PB for the 10km. Previous mark was 37:35.3 with an overall split of 1:52.7. I figured that I would just try for 1:52.5 splits and give it a squirt towards the end and see if I could duck under 37:30. So I started out and just felt really strong.....I've just beaten my PB by 37 seconds!!!!

Not only did I beat 37:30, I beat 37 minutes! I did a 36:58.0 with an overall average split of 1:50.9. I'm not only stoked, I am blown away. I have been chipping away 5 seconds here or there....to blow out 37 seconds just gob smacked me. Just shows how soft I have been going.....Obviously I need to push myself a bit more. While it doesn't count, I beat my 30 min best along the way as well. I'll have to give that a bash in the next week or two just to pull it into line. Just wrapped.

You using the online log book system BM? My ID is 858909 if you want to add me.

Keep it up guys, just shows what you can do is more than you think.
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:13 am

Nah Triggy, my back is the only part of me that doesn't hurt when I finish Razz The same as you, I feel it the most in my quads, but also triceps/upper arms. The seat is hard on the a$$ too Neutral

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Agree on the butt and seat bit. I find that sometimes the glute muscles are really sore just from the seated position being held for so long whilst expecting them to output as well!
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 pm

And you can't stop either Triggy, or you lose ground on your target. It is even worse with the 3D software because the other rowers get ahead of you, so if you stop to adjust your position you have to row like a loony to catch them again..lol

Are you going to respond to my email about your NAS? Willy did tongue Maybe we should start a topic about it Cool

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TriggerFish Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 pm

lol...long day at work. Massive power outage in Canberra that took out several Government departments including mine. Just short enough not to enact disaster recovery plans, failover etc etc. Just long enough to keep me there until now. I'll reply now.
TriggerFish
TriggerFish

Back to top Go down

Post  GT Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Hmmmmm cross training. Seems like you two are having a lot of "fun" on these rowers.

BM did you rent yours from here : http://www.concept2.com.au/products/indoorrowers/hire.aspx and thus get the Model D with the PM3 display thingy? Are you going to buy it? and I assume you can run it stand alone without hooking up to a monitor but what are the options if you wanted to do that, would you hook it up to a pc or a laptop, assuming rower is in garage this could be difficult.

Am undecided whether to hit the weights to assist in the cycling training or go the row option. Already do one spew fest a week at a cycling class on fixed wheel power tap ergo's with a sports physiologist and ride 2-3 times a week (when it is not 8 degrees and raining at 5.30am like currently) but would not mind some upper body and arms workout. And hopefully the Good Wife might use it too, unlike our treadmill which is now a great place to hang the shirts on their coat hangers when ironed!

Oh and I note freight is at your expense both ways how much was that?

Cheers. And why don't you buggers come play DODs with me anymore. Friday night on TOG server is pretty good.

GT

GT

Back to top Go down

Post  BM Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey GT, saw you had returned from your cycling holiday, how was it? Stupid question I know Razz A question, a while back you mentioned you did a ride down around Torquay etc, was that the Otway Classic? I have a mate who did the Alpine Classic and the Otway Classic, and is really getting into it. Like you though, I think the weather in Melbourne this time of the year puts him off the early morning training rides.

As for the rower, http://www.concept2.com.au/ is the place we got it from. The only reason we rented for the 3 months instead of buying it outright, is just in case there was a chance it didn't get used we would have only been out of pocket $450 instead of the full $1800. We will definately be buying it though, and it is excellent that they take the full rental payments off the purchase price.

The payment was:

Quantity Code Product Unit Price Total Price
1 Hire a Model D Rower - Initial 3 months $450.00 $450.00
1 C2R1862 Heart Rate Receiver and Cable $55.00 $55.00
SubTotal: $505.00
Freight Cost: $60.50
Grand Total: $565.50

It can be run either stand alone, as it has a small screen on the PM3, and you can download the rowing logs to a USB stick or PC, or you can purchase the awesome RowPro software (http://www.digitalrowing.com/) and connect it up to a PC to row against pace rowers, past rows, other rowers online, or other rowers who have sent you copies of their rows. Just thinking, it has a USB cable from the rower, so if your LCD TV has a USB port (our LED LCD does), it might be able to be connect directly to that. I have an old PC that was laying around connected to it downstairs in the excercise room, and that is connected up to our old 50" Plasma. I nam sure you could pickup some old PC parts of Reav or someone to use, as it isn't very resource hungry. As Triggy will tell you though, you don't reall need the LCD if you just want the excercise, , the PM3 is more than enough Smile

As for DoD, I just haven't had the urge for any FPS games, and have only just started doing laps in rFactor again Smile Friday nights has ALWAYS been great on the TOG server though, they are a great bunch, but I have found that since I don't drink much anymore DoD isn't as much fun Razz

Maybe we can get you onto rFactor for some laps. there are some great new mods out, includign an excellent version of GT_All Wink

BM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GT Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks for that BM. Will discuss with the Wife when she returns from Brisbane next week, some new perfume being released into Australia. I need to try and get something for her she will use that I can use as well and she refuses to ride a bike - smart girl.

Italy was great but it was very wet, got a bit sick of riding in the rain and fog but not a lot you can do about it. Food and beer always good.

Yes it was the Otway Classic. My last mass ride event I think - was way too many entries and lots of different speeds and skills. Saw one huge crash aftermath - a lot of blood. Yuk.

GT

GT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum